Introduction

The damage wrought by war can be a lifelong legacy of mental turmoil. Reginald Dack Baker (originally from Norwich) served in the Royal Australian Field Ambulance regiment from August 1914 to near the end of the war. During that time he served in some of the bloodiest theatres of war, including the Western front and Gallipoli.

Returning to Australia after the war, in 1923 he was sectioned and was an patient at the Goodna Asylum in Brisbane. Upon his release he came back to his native city, Norwich and lived there for the rest of his life (dying in the 1960s).

This blog attempts to make some sense of the remarkable collection of six journals he compiled. They betray an obsession with the idea that radio waves were being used to control and kill innocent people. In places there are brief references to his service in WW1. There are also letters from a 'sweet heart' who he left in Australia, Kitty.

For Reginald Dack Baker the legacy of his war years was a life sentence of mental ill-health and obsessive delusion. It is a tragedy.

Thursday 25 June 2009

How The Books Ended Up In My Hands...

To read the blog introduction, click HERE


© Evening News 24, 28th July 2006

In early December 2007 a friend of mine who was working as a builder, restoring the Scientific Anglian bookshop down St Benedict Street, told me about some 'weird' books which him and his workmates had found in the attic of the old shop. Intrigued, I asked to see the books, and as soon as I saw them I realised that they were a unique collection. I was concerned that they stay together as a collection, and that they be looked after. To be honest, I also realised that there was a really interesting story here. So it was that I spent some of my first wage packet from my new job on acquiring the collection - a purchase which greatly pleased the builders incidently!


One of the six volumes I purchased in December 2007.

Subsequent to this, I discovered that the volumes had been acquired by the old owner of the bookshop, Norman Peake, in the early 1970s. Apparently, in the midst of his amazing, higgle-di-piggledy warren of a shop, he read through them with great interest (indeed, I think that there is a small example of his writing on the inside cover of the earliest volume, where he notes the date-range of the subject matter contained therein).


Mr. Norman Peake, proprietor of the Scientific Anglian bookshop. © Evening News 24, 28th July 2006

At some point in the future I intend to donate this collection to the Norfolk Studies Reserve Collection at the Forum library in Norwich. This is a wonderful public resource, and I cannot think of a more appropriate place for it to end up.

<*((((><(

No comments:

Post a Comment